Friday, April 27, 2007

Problem Converting Ajax files to .Net Web Application

So, I was toying with Ajax recently.

Here's the problem of the day:
When trying to convert VS2005 website to a VS2005 web application with some files having Ajax controls, I ran into this error:

Generation of designer file failed: unknown server tag 'asp:ScriptManager'


Checked web.config, even though for sure I configured ajax correctly, otherwise how was I able to run the VS2005 website without problems?! Sure enough, configured correctly with:


<controls>
<add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>
</controls>

However, page still throws error the same error when I tried to convert to web app...

Added System.Web.Extensions to References. Same error.

Googled: found this post:
http://mcosier.blogspot.com/2006/12/element-scriptmanager-is-not-known.html

Didn't fix the problem still!

After puzzling for a bit, I got creative. I copied the old .aspx.designer.cs file over from an old version (before the ajax stuff), added in the controls that I used:
protected System.Web.UI.UpdatePanel UpdatePanel1;

and...viola! Rebuild and error went away! It had nothing to do w/ not recognizing the ScriptManager! How misleading!





No comments: